Tuesday, March 17, 2009

God is Great, God is Good...

I first learned these words as part of a childhood blessing prayed over meals. Growing up I repeated them countless times as I learned how to pray and truly be cognizant of and appreciative for God's generous hand in providing my daily food. As I became older and more mature in my prayer life, I filed those well worn words away in the back of my mind opting to speak more from the heart than from memorized words.

God graced my life with two wonderful boys. As they became old enough to talk Candie and I began to teach them to pray. We dusted off the old childhood prayer and used it as a tool in teaching Evan and Jordan to pray over meals. They have long since outgrown those early stages of learning to pray, so again I shelved the phrase.

Sitting in a small diner recently I heard a cute little girl rehearse those words again as her parents were teaching her about prayer. My first thoughts were of my boys, and my own childhood. But then those words reasserted themselves in my mind and heart. God is indeed Great. There is none like Him. He is awesome, immense, omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, immutable, eternal... truly GREAT. God is also Good. He is love, kind and gracious, merciful and patient, faithful and generous, caring for His creation in ways beyond our comprehension... God is GOOD.

No comments: