Friday, December 26, 2008

Twas the day after Christmas...

Twas the day after Christmas and all through the land, many creatures were stirring, some happy, some sad. Jon got that Wii he was wanting, but Anne stares at the neckless in disbelief, she thought for sure she'd get the "ring." Lines are already forming at customer service as gifts are returned, tempers are flaring, parking lots overflowing, the after Christmas sales are in full swing, but in a few days it will all be over and a new year will dawn.

Now I realize that Jesus Christ was not actually born on December 25th, probably not even in December at all, but since the church has chosen to celebrate His birth on December 25, shouldn't we focus more on Him and His mission during this season. I was listening to a favorite podcast this AM, one that was done a week or so back, and I loved it, it spoke to my heart, right up until the advertisement for sermon series, music projects, books, etc. that would make a perfect gift for my loved ones, or even as a way to reward myself this Christmas. My heart was pricked.

Jesus came to be the gift of God to a world in total need of a savior. During His teaching time with His disciples He laid out the mission He was on earth for. He came to seek and save the lost, to be sight to the blind, health for the sick, food for the hungry, clothing for the naked, and the blood covering for those stained with sin. He did not come to the religious, to exchange accolades, to simply offer new insights into the theological conversations of the scholars, or to further the course of the religious establishment of the day. Jesus came to make, to be, the ultimate sacrifice. It is His coming that we claim to celebrate on December 25th. I wonder how He feels about the way we in the American church have chosen to to celebrate Him? I wonder if our "generosity" to our families and friends, our focus on the "perfect gift," etc. moves Him. I do love my family, and I do hope to live generously toward them. How skewed it has become hit me though, when my wife and I had to search for a gift idea, because aunt Mary already has everything a human being needs and wants. After all if there is something she wants, she goes out and buys it. I started thinking about how abundantly blessed most of we Americans are, especially compared with many in the impoverished parts of our world. I noticed, really looked into the face of the homeless man I had passed on the street several times this "holiday season." I wonder would it warm Jesus' heart more if we were to opt to spend time with our family and friends, and invest our "gift giving money" into some area of the mission of Jesus. Would my December 25th be more honoring to Jesus if I reached out to the homeless in my city, to the hungry across town and around the world. I wonder if Jesus would be more pleased if I sacrificed for those in need, instead of exchanging gifts with others who have as much as I have. I wonder...

No comments: