Thursday, December 4, 2008

Making connections in a disconnected world.

I have a great friend who through a weird set of circumstances (all totally legal mind you), ended up with a new Blackberry Curve that he could only use for three weeks and then had to change networks. He called and offered the old/new Blackberry to me. I am thrilled with my new phone. But anyway, I was having a bit of difficulty getting the email set up so I ended up at the at&t store... for 45 minutes yesterday.  While the tech worked on my new toy, I mean tool, I wondered around the store looking at all the myriad types of phones. The thought struck me of how many ways we now have available to make connections with people. I am not an old man, but I remember growing up when "the phone" was the big black thing on Granny's side table. It had a dial with holes, and would actually ring (as in bell, not chirp, or play part of your favorite song) when someone called. Other than that "electronic device", you connected with people face to face; looking them in the eyes, smiling, and offering a firm handshake. AT&T has approximately 30 different type phones (at least in the store I waited somewhat patiently in yesterday). The Blackberry I have allows text messages, instant messages, Facebook, MySpace, email, internet, and of course phone service. I also own a MacBook Pro with ichat, email, IM, internet, etc. My point is that the tools available to make connections are far more plentiful and way more advanced than ever before. Yet the bad news is there is a greater sense of disconnect now than many would care to admit. There are those who create characters (avatars) and live out a fantasy "second life", while pulling away from the real people with whom they could relate.  I have witnessed teens sitting in the same room, sometimes sitting side by side texting each other rather than actually talking.  Many people live desperate lives of lonely isolation, numbing the pain with a prescription or a beer.  Others hide in the business of living, aching for someone to genuinely connect with.  The bars are full, the facilities that treat depression have long waiting lists, suicide is on the rise for almost every age group, divorce is devastating thousands of homes each day, and the pace and pressures of life seem to keep increasing.

How do we as followers of Jesus Christ, who left heaven and sacrificed His everything to connect with humanity, tackle this paradoxical situation. How do we make authentic connections with people in such a disconnect world? I would love to hear some ideas...

No comments: